Academy of Distinguished Educators
Academy of Distinguished Educators Inducts New Members and Fellows
2018 NYU College of Dentistry Academy of Distinguished Educators inductees, shown with Dean Charles Bertolami and Dr. Muhammad Wahlji, from left: Dr. Niloufar Amintavakoli, Ms. Dianne Sefo, Dr. Edmund Khoo, and Dr. Aaron Soeprono.
Four new members and two fellows were inducted into the NYU Academy of Distinguished Educators on Friday, September 14, 2018. This year’s inductees are Dr. Niloufar Amintavakoli, clinical assistant professor, oral & maxillofacial pathology, radiology and medicine; Dr. Edmund Khoo, clinical assistant professor, orthodontics; Ms. Dianne Sefo, clinical instructor, dental hygiene; and Dr. Aaron Soeprono, clinical instructor, cariology & comprehensive care. This year’s fellows inductees are Ms. Winnie Furnari, adjunct clinical professor, dental hygiene; and Dr. Ronald I. Maitland, clinical associate professor, cariology & comprehensive care.
The mission of the NYU Academy of Distinguished Educators is to enhance overall teaching at the NYU College of Dentistry and to stimulate excitement among teachers around their intellectual content.
About the Academy
The NYU Academy of Distinguished Educators is an expression of the College's commitment to excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarship. Central to the vision of the Academy is the idea that teaching and learning is fundamental to the core mission of the College and faculty members should be valued for their contributions in this area.
The goals of the Academy are to:
- Advance the art and science of teaching and learning at the College
- Stimulate interest in teaching practice, change, innovation, and scholarship
- Network and collaborate with educators within and beyond the College to share best practices
To achieve these goals the Academy will:
- Provide mentorship and support to other faculty members
- Function as a think-tank, exploring issues pertaining to teaching and learning
- Encourage teaching excellence by inviting experts to share their perspectives
- Develop venues so that faculty members can present new ideas, methods, and research
- Encourage and fund projects that advance the teaching mission of the College
Academy Chair: Johanna Warshaw
Charles Bertolami on the establishment of the NYU Academy of Distinguished Educators