Kenneth E. Fleisher, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Room 303W Weissman, 421 First Avenue
BA, University of Rochester.
DDS, Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery.
Internship in OMFS, University of Chicago School of Medicine.
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency, University of Miami School of Medicine.
Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
RESEARCH INTERESTS / PROFESSIONAL OVERVIEW
Dr. Fleisher is the principle investigator of a study designed to understand the pathogenesis of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ).
What is Osteonecrosis of the Jaw?
Osteonecrosis of the jaw, often referred to as "ONJ", refers to an area of dead bone in the jaw.
How do I know if I have osteonecrosis of the jaw?
While some patients may not experience any symptoms, some may have exposed bone, pain, swelling and/or infection. An oral health care specialist can typically make this diagnosis after a taking a thorough medical history and performing a careful examination.
What causes osteonecrosis of the jaw?
The cause of ONJ is unknown. There are many risk factors for ONJ that include antiresorptive therapy (i.e., bisphosphonates, denosumab), poor oral hygiene, cancer, chemotherapy, infection (osteomyelitis), smoking and alcohol abuse. ONJ may be associated with dental extractions. ONJ associated with radiation therapy to the head and neck is called osteoradionecrosis.
How is osteonecrosis of the jaw treated?
There are many strategies for managing ONJ. For more information about ONJ, please contact Dr. Fleisher.
- In vitro Bone Analysis for Bisphosphonate-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw.
- R# 07-320.
- NYU Funded Grant: $7,000.00 (Goddard Grant).
- 6/2007-Present - Principal Investigator.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
- Fleisher KE, Jolly A, Chippada-Venkata UD, Norman RG, Saxena D, Glickman RS. Osteonecrosis of the Jaw Onset Times are Based on the Route of Bisphosphonate Therapy. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013; 71: 513-519.
- Ji, X, Pushalkar S, Li Y, Glickman R, Fleisher K, Saxena D. Antibiotic effects on bacterial profile in osteonecrosis of the jaw. Oral Diseases 2012; 18: 85-95.
- Sacks PG, Zhao ZL, Kosinska W, Fleisher KE, Gordon T, Guttenplan JB. Concentration dependent effects of tobacco particulates from different types of cigarettes on expression of drug metabolizing proteins, and benzo(a)pyrene metabolism in primary normal human oral epithelial cells. Food and Chemical Toxicology 2011; 49: 2348-2355.
- Fleisher KE, Glickman RS. Risk Factors for Bisphosphonate-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 959-960
- Fleisher KE, Welch G, Kottal S, Craig RG, Saxena D, Glickman RS. Predicting risk for bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws: CTX versus radiographic markers. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology 2010; 110: 509-516.
- Fleisher KE, Glickman RS. Bisphosphonate-related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws: A Case-Control Study of Risk Factors in Breast Cancer Patients. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 2009; 20(2): 135-137.
- Fleisher KE, Doty S, Kottal S, Phelan J, Norman RG, Glickman RS. Tetracycline-Guided Debridement and Cone Beam Computed Tomography for the Treatment of Bisphosphonate-Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw: A Technical Note. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008; 66: 2646-2653.
- Fleisher KE, Krieger A. Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Current Trends in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2007; 65: 2056-2068
- Wang EY, Mulholland TP, Pramanik BK, Nusbaum AO, Babb AG, Pavone AG, Fleisher KE. Dynamic Sagittal Half-Fourier Acquired Single-Shot Turbo Spin-Echo MR imaging of the Temporomandibular Joint: Initial Experience and Comparison with Sagittal Oblique Proton-Attenuation Images. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2007; 28: 1-7.
- Krieger AC, Fleisher KE. Obstructive Sleep Apnea-An Overview of Treatment Options. US Respiratory Disease 2006; 2 (2): 49-51.
- Vigneswaran N, Beckers S, Waigel S, Mensah J, Wu J, Mo J, Fleisher KE, Bouquot J, Sacks PG, Zacharias W. Increased EMMPRIN (CD 147) expression during oral carcinogenesis. Experimental and Molecular Pathology 2006; 80:147-159.
- Fleisher KE, Hirsch DL, Pahlavi IA, Glickman R. Severe Corneal Edema After Temporomandibular Joint Reconstruction: Report of a case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004; 62: 1324-1326.
- Fleisher KE, Carlson ER, Schaberg SJ. Oropharyngeal Mass. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1998; 56: 359-364.
- Fleisher KE, Stevens MR. Diagnosis and Management of Inferior Alveolar Nerve Injuries. Compendium 1995; 16 (10): 1028-1040.