Marcela Romero Reyes, DDS, PhD
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Radiology and Medicine
Room 827 Dental Center, 421 First Avenue
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Neuroscience, UCLA Headache Research and Treatment Program, UCLA School of Medicine 2009
PhD, Oral Biology, UCLA School of Dentistry 2006
Certificate, Orofacial Pain and Dysfunction, UCLA School of Dentistry 2006
DDS, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico 1999
- Diplomate, American Board of Orofacial Pain (2009)
- Fellow, American Academy of Orofacial Pain (2011)
- Fellow, American Headache Society (2014)
- 2014-2015 NYU Whitehead Fellowship for Junior Faculty in Biomedical and Biological Sciences (2014)
- NYU Goddard Junior Faculty Fellowship (2012)
- AHS/Migraine Research Foundation Thomas E. Heftler Migraine Research Award. (2009)
- American Academy of Orofacial Pain Research Award (2008)
- AADR/Pfizer Hatton Award Competition. 1st place in the basic science postdoctoral category. American Association for Dental Research. (2006)
RESEARCH INTERESTS / PROFESSIONAL OVERVIEW
Dr. Romero-Reyes is a clinician scientist with a broad background in basic sciences including immunology and neuroscience and specialist clinical training in the management of orofacial pain disorders, including temporomandibular disorders (TMD), craniofacial neuropathies and primary headache disorders. Her basic research interests are in orofacial pain and migraine neuro-immune mechanisms, drug discovery and development for chronic pain management, TMD and migraine co-morbidity and translational models for the study of TMD, headache and trigeminal neuropathic pain. Her clinical research interest investigates biomarkers of trigeminal neuropathic pain.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
A complete list of published work can be found in MyBibliography
- M Romero Reyes, V Pardi and S Akerman (2015) A potent and selective calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) receptor antagonist, MK-8825, inhibits responses to nociceptive trigeminal activation: role of CGRP in orofacial pain. Exp Neurol. May.
- Romero-Reyes M, Akerman S, Nguyen E, Vijjeswarapu A, Hom B, Dong H-W, et al. Spontaneous Behavioral Responses in the Orofacial Region: A Model of Trigeminal Pain in Mouse. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2013;53(1):137-51.
- Jewett, A., Nakamura h, Wang M,Teruel A, Paranjpe A and Romero M (2012) Dedifferentiation of Epithelial Tumors Enhances Citotoxicity, Survival, and Expansion of Allogeneic CD8+ T Cells and Natural Killer Cells. J. Carcinogen Mutagen S1:007. Doi:10.4172/2157-2518.S1-007.
- Jewett A, Teruel A, Romero M, Head C, Cacalano N. Rapid and potent induction of cell death and loss of NK cell cytotoxicity against oral tumors by F(ab')(2) fragment of anti-CD16 antibody. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2008 Jul;57(7):1053-66.
- Teruel, A, M . Romero., H. Christian., Anahid Jewett.Potential Contribution of Naïve and apoptotic Immune effectors to Oral Tumor resistance: Role in synergistic Induction of VEGF, IL-6 and IL-8 secretion. Journal of Cancer Immunol Immunother (2008) Mar;57(3):359-366.
- Romero-Reyes, Marcela; Christian Head, Nicolas Cacalano; Jewett, A. Potent induction of TNF-α during interaction of immune effectors with oral tumors as a potential mechanism for the loss of NK cell viability and function." Journal of Apoptosis. (2007) Nov;12(11):2063-75.
- Brennan KC, Romero Reyes M, Lopez-Valdes HE, Arnold AP, Charles AC. Reduced threshold for cortical spreading depression in female mice. Ann Neurol 2007 Jun;61(6):603-6.
- Charles, AC, Flippen Charles, Romero Reyes M, Kevin C Brennan. Memantine for the prevention of Migraine: A retrospective study of 60 cases. J. Headache Pain (2007) 8:228-231.
- Jewett, A., N. A. Cacalano, Teruel A,. Romero Marcela; Rashedi, Marjan.,Wang Meiying., Nakamura,Hiromi.. Inhibition of nuclear factor kappa B (NFkappaB) activity in oral tumor cells prevents depletion of NK cells and increases their functional activation. Journal of Cancer Immunol Immunother 2005 1-12.
- Romero, Marcela. Dolor Orofacial, el gran imitador. Orofacial pain, the great imitator. Foro de Investigacion y Tratamiento del Dolor para la comunidad Medica. Clinica Dolor y terapia. Estomatologia.Vol 111.1 :August 2004. p 5-8.