Robert J. Boylan, M.S., PhD.
Basic Science and Craniofacial Biology
Room 532 137 East 25th Street
1963 B.S. University of Scranton
1967 M.S. Duquesne University
1970 Ph.D. University of Maryland
1970-73 Postdoc University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Research Interests / Professional Overview
* Gram-negative bacteria involved in periodontal disease.
* Bacterial surface proteins involved in adhesion.
* Mixed bacterial infections.
Our laboratory is developing methods to rapidly identify bacteria in dental plaque that contribute to periodontal disease. We are using DNA probes that specifically identify species, and even subspecies, of the anaerobic, gram-negative rods implicated in this disease without growing the bacteria. We also look at the virulence factors produced by these bacteria and how the bacteria work together to cause more serious episodes of the disease.
We have recently begun to look for bacteriophage-encoded lysins of oral bacteria with the expectation that these lysins could be used therapeutically to treat infections of the oral cavity.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
- Adamo, HL, Buruiana, R, Schertzer, L and Boylan RJ. (1999) A comparison of Mf~ Super-EB~ composite and amalgam as root-end filling materials using a bacterial microleakage model. International Endodontic Journal. 32:197-203.
- Russell, SL, Boylan, RJ, Kaslick, S, Scannapieco, FA and Katz, RV. (1999) Respiratory pathogen colonization of the dental plaque of institutionalized elders. SCD Special Care in Dentistry. 19:128-134.
- Craig, RG, Boylan, RJ, J Yip, P. Bamgboye, P. Koutsoukos, D. Mijares, J Ferrer, M. Imam, S. S. Socransky and A.D. Haffajee, 2001 Prevalence and risk indicators for destructive periodontal diseases in 3 urban American minority populations. J. Clin. Periodontal.28:524-535.
- Craig, R G., R Boylan, J Yip, et al 2002 Serum IgG antibody response to periodontal pathogens in minority populations: Relationship to periodontal disease status and progression. J. Periodont Res. 37 :132-146.
- Craig, RG, Yip, J, So, MK, Boylan, RJ, Haffajee, AD, Socransky, SS. (2003) Relationship of Destructive Periodontal Disease to the Acute-Phase Response. Periodontol 74:1007-1016.
- Craig, RG, Yip, J, Mijares, DQ, Boylan, RJ, Haffajee, AD and Socransky SS. (2003) Destructive periodontal diseases in minority populations. Dent. Clin. N. America. 47: 103-114.
- More FG, Phelan, J, Boylan, RJ, Glotzer, D, Psoter, W, Robbins,M, Relow, ED, Alfano,M. (2004) Predoctoral Dental School Curriculum for Catastrophe Preparation. Dent Educ. 68:851-57.
- Glotzer, D, More, FG, Phelan, J, Boylan, RJ, Psoter, W, Robbins, M, Rekow, E.D, Godder, B and Alfano, MC. (2006) Introducing a Senior Course on Catastrophe Preparedness into the Dental School Curriculum. J Dent Educ. 70: 225-230.
- Psoter, WJ, Park, PJ, Boylan, RJ, Morse, DE and Glotzer, DL. (2008) National emergency response programs for dental health care professionals JADA 139:1067-1073
- Glotzer, DL, Psoter, WJ, Weiserbs, KF and Boylan RJ (2008) Bioterrorism Update- Information for the Dentist. Academy of General Dentistry 56:520--525
- Boylan, RJ, Li, Y, Simeonova, L., Sherman, G., Kreismann, J., Craig, RG, Ship, JA and McCutcheon, J.A. (2008) Reduction in Bacterial Contamination of Toothbrushes Using an Ultraviolet Toothbrush Holder. In press, Am. J. Dentistry