Congratulations to ...
Dr. Brad Aouizerat, deputy director of the Translational Research Center and professor of oral and maxillofacial surgery, on being selected to receive the NYU CTSI’s (Clinical & Translational Science Institute) Translational Research Mentor of the Year Award. Dr. Aouizerat will receive the award at the Translational Research in Progress Seminar to be held on October 31, 2022, at NYU Langone Health.
Dr. Dalal Alhajji, instructor in oral and maxillofacial pathology, radiology and medicine, on being named a recipient of the American Dental Association’s 10 Under 10 Award, which recognizes 10 new dentists who demonstrate excellence in their early careers. Dr. Alhajji was recognized for her work in dental oncology and advocating for how personalized dental care contributes to the overall health of patients with cancer.
Mr. Andrew Baez, faculty services administrator in Human Resources and Faculty Services, on being selected to receive the University's Above and Beyond HR Recognition Award for having performed above and beyond the call of duty.
Dr. Habib Benzian, research professor in the Department of Epidemiology & Health Promotion and co-director of the WHO Collaborating Center for Quality Improvement and Evidence-based Dentistry, on being featured in a video and a story from CDAasis Discussions titled “WHO Adopts Global Strategy on Oral Health.
Dr. Charles N. Bertolami, Herman Robert Fox Dean of NYU Dentistry, on authoring an editorial titled “Misinformation? Disinformation?” for the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Dr. Timothy Bromage, professor of molecular pathobiology, on presenting the 2022 Gustav Heinrich Ralph von Koenigswald Lecture in Frankfurt, Germany, in August 2022. The lecture is considered the most prestigious annual lecture in the field of human evolution.
Dr. Lorel Burns, assistant professor of endodontics, on receiving the 2022 ADEA/ADEA Council of Students, Residents and Fellows/Colgate-Palmolive Junior Faculty Award. The award recognizes Dr. Burns for demonstrating excellence in teaching, research, and service, and for her commitment to dental education.
Dr. Gerard Epelbaum (pictured third from left), adjunct clinical associate professor of periodontology & implant dentistry, on being designated a “Knight of the National Order of Merit” by the Ambassador and permanent representative of France to the United Nations and the General Consul of France in New York.
Ms. Kerry D’Aiuto, director of Human Resources, on being selected to receive the 2022 NYU Distinguished Administrator Award. The annual Distinguished Administrator Award recognizes outstanding administrative and professional performance and inclusive excellence that help NYU meet its strategic initiatives and contribute to the attainment of University goals.
Dr. Lauren Feldman, clinical assistant professor and director of the Advanced Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry, on authoring the commentary "The American Dental Association should support sweetened beverage taxation" for the September issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA).
Ms. Winnie Furnari, adjunct professor of dental hygiene, on being selected to receive the 2022 Esther Wilkins Lifetime Achievement Award and the first ADHA Professional Membership Award.
Dr. Leila Jahangiri, Ira E. Klein Professor of Prosthodontics and chair of the Department of Prosthodontics, on becoming the inaugural recipient of the New York University Edward Kleinert Service Award. Added kudos to Dr. Jahangiri on receiving the Harvard School of Dental Medicine Distinguished Alumni Award, and on moderating a panel discussion with deans from Harvard, Tufts, and Boston University on the same occasion.
Dr. Angela Kamer, associate professor of periodontology and implant dentistry, on contributing to a paper titled “Opportunities, barriers, and recommendations in down syndrome research,” which was published in Translational Science of Rare Diseases.
Dr. Mary Kang, clinical assistant professor of periodontology and implant dentistry, on being recognized by Benco Dental’s Lucy Hobbs Project for excellence in mentoring. The Lucy Hobbs Project, sponsored by Benco Dental. Dr. Kang, together with Dr. Stefanie Russell, associate professor of epidemiology & health promotion, also received an Honorable Mention from the national Interprofessional Education Collaborative for the NYU/Bellevue Prenatal Oral Health Program.
Dr. Vasiliki Karlis, associate professor and director of the Advanced Education Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, on being appointed a member of the Commission on Dental Accreditation’s Review Committee on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Education. Dr. Karlis was appointed for a four-year term, beginning in October 2021. In addition, the Commission on Dental Accreditation approved Dr. Karlis’s reappointment as a site visitor.
Dr. Ronald Kosinski, clinical director of the NYU Dentistry Oral Health Center for People with Disabilities and clinical associate professor of pediatric dentistry, on authoring “NYU Dentistry Oral Health Center for People with Disabilities” for a special emphasis issue of the Journal of the California Dental Association titled "Oral Health Care for People with Special Health Care Needs: A Call to Action.”
Dr. Marci Levine, clinical assistant professor of oral and maxillofacial surgery, on being awarded a 2022-23 Faculty Fellowship from 19 Washington Square North—NYU Abu Dhabi's home in New York—to support the project, "Haptic Feedback for Local Anesthesia Training." Dr. Levine shares the Faculty Fellowship Award with Dr. Mohamad Eid, assistant professor of electrical engineering at NYU Abu Dhabi. The project proposal was written in collaboration Dr. Elizabeth McAlpin, director of Research and Outcomes Assessment, NYU IT, and Mr. Cristian Opazo, director of Educational Technology at NYU Dentistry.
Dr. Gary R. Login, adjunct associate professor of cariology & comprehensive care, on becoming a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry.
Dr. Matthew Malek, clinical associate professor of endodontics and director of the postgraduate program in endodontics, on being selected as the American Association of Endodontists Foundation Spring 2022 Competitive Research Proposal Faculty Winner. Dr. Malek was awarded a grant for his research titled "Potential Biological Markers of Invasive Cervical Resorption in Saliva and Gingival Crevicular Fluid: A Pilot Study."
Dr. William J. Maloney, clinical associate professor of cariology & comprehensive care, on receiving a postgraduate certificate in health care writing from the Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Amr Moursi, professor and chair of the Department of Pediatric Dentistry, on being installed as president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry.
Dr. Seo Hyun (Grace) Park, ’22, on receiving the 2022 American College of Dentists New York Chapter Outstanding Student of the Year Award.
Dr. Chloe Peach, a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Pathobiology and the NYU Pain Research Center, on receiving a 2022 Leon Levy Neuroscience Fellowship. These competitive fellowships are awarded to young researchers investigating high-risk, high-reward neuroscience projects and will provide support for research, mentoring, and career development. Dr. Peach received one of only four Leon Levy Fellowships awarded this year from a pool of 26 applications from seven different departments and institutes across NYU Langone and New York University.
Dr. Caroline Sawicki, a second-year pediatric dentistry postgraduate student and postdoctoral fellow in Dr Brian Schmidt’s lab, on being selected as one of only two recipients of the 2022 Outstanding Student Researcher Award presented by the American Association for Dental, Oral, and Craniofacial Research (AADOCR).
Ms. Barbie Vartanian, director of oral health advocacy & policy initiatives at the NYU Dentistry Center for Oral Health Policy and Management, on participating in a series of panel discussions on access to oral health care for people with disabilities, including with Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services, Rachel Levine, and at the Michigan Oral Health Conference, American Academy of Developmental Medicine & Dentistry Annual Conference, New York State Task Force on Special Care Dentistry, Santa Fe Group at the University of the Pacific Conference, and the PAOH/Shalva International Conference.
KUDOS TO OUR ALUMNI
- Dr. Lyndon Cooper, ’83, on being named dean of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry.
- Dr. David L. Hirsch, '99, MD ‘03, PG OMFS ‘05, on successfully leading a team in an eight-hour surgery replacing a 9-year-old patient's jaw bone, where a benign tumor was threatening to disfigure him, with a section of the fibula bone in the child’s lower right leg at the Cohen Children’s Medical Center at Northwell Health’s Long Island Jewish Hospital.
- Dr. Anderson Huang, ’90, PG Orthodontics '95, and Dr. Darren Huang, '16, PG Orthodontics '19, have co-authored a textbook titled, Controversies in Clear Aligner Therapy: Contemporary Perspectives, Limitations, and Solutions. Dr. Anderson Huang is a past president of the NYU Dentistry Orthodontics Alumni Association and an adjunct clinical associate professor in orthodontics at NYU Dentistry. Dr. Darren Huang is a clinical assistant professor in orthodontics at NYU Dentistry. The father and son team maintain a private orthodontics practice in Flushing and Great Neck, NY.
- Dr. Hae Lim Ji, ’18, Dr. Raysa Martin, ’17, Dr. Varun Nakhate, ’17, Dr. Michael Perna, ’16, and Dr. Jung Min Yeon, on being awarded fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) at the 2022 AGD Annual Scientific Session in Orlando, Florida, in June. Added kudos to Dr. Young Hwa Kim, ’20, on being selected as an E-poster winner in the category, “Management of Patients with Left Ventricular Assist Device” at the annual meeting.
- Dr. Kenneth S. Kurtz, '83, formerly the Associate Director of the Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics, on being awarded the American College of Prosthodontists (ACP) NY State Section Distinguished Service Award in April 2022. Dr. Kurtz was also elected to the ACP Board of Directors as the Private Practice Representative.
- Dr. Michael Lozman, ’71, on being appointed by President Joseph Biden to serve as a member of the United States Commission for the Preservation of America’s Heritage Abroad. The Commission’s mission is to identify, protect, and preserve cemeteries, monuments, and historic buildings in Eastern and Central Europe that are associated with U.S. heritage. In 2001, Dr. Lozman founded an organization to bring college students to Eastern Europe to restore Jewish cemeteries that were destroyed during the Nazi era. To date, the organization has restored 15 Jewish cemeteries in Belarus and five in Lithuania.
- Dr. Ioanna G Mentzelopoulou, ’99, on being appointed president of the New York County Dental Society in January 2022. The officers include Dr. Suchle Chawla, '98, as Vice President and Dr. Vera Tang, '00, as Secretary.
- Dr. Jae Hyun Park, MS in dental materials science and Advanced Education Program in Orthodontics ’06, on being installed as secretary/treasurer of the American Board of Orthodontics and on being selected to receive the 2023 Louise Ada Jarabak Memorial International Orthodontic Teachers and Research Award.
- Dr. Amrita Patel, '11 on receiving a Denobi Award for "outstanding contributions to the field of dentistry," in recognition of her advocacy on behalf of the American Dental Association.Dr. Patel was featured in the ADA's 2021 "10 under 10" Dentists and is a 2022 NYU Dentistry Alumni Association Board member. She conducts a multispecialty practice with her father, Dr. Rohit Z. Patel, in Mount Vernon, NY.
- Dr. Robert Rawdin, Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics ’86, on being installed as the president of The Greater New York Academy of Prosthodontics.
- Dr. Brenda Shah, ’20, on being appointed to the American Dental Association’s Advisory Committee on Annual Meetings (CAM).
- Dr. Lisa Shilman, ’07, on being appointed to the Georgia Board of Dentistry by Governor Brian Kemp.