Global Health Nexus, Summer 2001
A Continuing Legacy: Dr. Edward Cleveland, Class of 1891
Before its merger with New York University in 1925, today’s NYU Dentistry was known as the New York College of Dentistry, and its Class of 1891 included a young man from Montreal, Dr. Edward Cleveland, who subsequently returned to practice and teach at the McGill University Faculty of Dentistry. Dr. Cleveland had two sons, both of whom became dentists, and one also followed in his father’s footsteps at McGill. One of the younger Dr. Cleveland’s students, a Dr. Arthur Knittle, went on to teach at NYU Dentistry in the Special Patient Care Clinic. Dr. Knittle visited the clinic recently and met the current director of the clinic, Dr. Ross Kerr, who happens to be the great-grandson of Edward Cleveland. Talk about NYU Dentistry as a nexus!