Advanced Standing Program for International Dentists
New York University College of Dentistry (NYU Dentistry) offers Advanced Standing into the D.D.S. program for the internationally trained dentist who seeks to practice dentistry in the United States. Students admitted with advanced placement enter a 28 months, full-time program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). With its culmination in the D.D.S. degree, the graduating dentist has met the educational requirement for licensure. Please submit your application through ADEA CAAPID.
While this is not an NYU Dentistry Admissions requirement, licensure in New York State requires 6 years of education (1-year pre-professional, 5-year professional), prior to the Advanced Standing program. For more information, please visit the NYSED for more information.
Requirements for licensure may vary in other states.
Eugenia E. Mejia
Assistant Dean, Assistant Dean, Admissions & Enrollment Management
Mara L. Zelaya
Graduate Programs Coordinator
NYU College of Dentistry
Office of Admissions
433 First Avenue, Suite 125
New York, NY 10010
Length of Program: 28 months
Application Opens: March 5, 2020
Application Deadline: July 1, 2020*
Program Start Date: January 11, 2021
Class Size: 20 - 30
Degree Awarded: DDS
*Due to COVID-19 coronavirus, exam dates have been canceled and/or rescheduled, therefore, we have decided to move our application deadline from June 1, 2020 to July 1, 2020.
English Language Proficiency
- All applicants must be proficient in the English language and are required to take the TOEFL (iBT) exam. The TOEFL exam will not be waived.
- The minimum required score is of 100; no exceptions will be made. Applications will not be reviewed if they do not meet the minimum score required.
- TOEFL exam scores are valid for only two years and must not expire before the program start date.
- We will not accept the “My Best Scores” result.
- The original TOEFL score report must be sent directly from ETS to NYU Dentistry upon admission to the program.
- We will be accepting the new TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition.
National Board Dental Examination
- Program requires passage of NBDE Part I & II to be reviewed.
- The NBDE score reports must be reported directly from the ADA to ADEA CAAPID.
- Candidate’s copies are not accepted.
Letters of Evaluation
- The program requires three letters of evaluation. One letter of evaluation from the Dean of the dental school from which the applicant graduated, and two letters of evaluation from faculty members.
- All letters of evaluation must be sent directly to ADEA CAAPID.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicants must submit official ECE course-by-course evaluation to ADEA CAAPID. We do not accept evaluations from WES or any other credential evaluators
- Documents such as dental school transcripts, diplomas, and official transcripts from accredited U.S. institutions can be uploaded to ADEA CAAPID
A non-refundable processing fee of $100.00 (USD) is required to complete the application to NYU Dentistry. This payment can be made online at the NYU Dentistry Application Fee Payment page. You will need your ADEA CAAPID ID number in order to process this payment.