Advanced Standing Program for International Dentists
NYU College of Dentistry offers Advanced Standing into the DDS program for the internationally trained dentist who seeks to practice dentistry in the United States. Students admitted with advanced placement enter a 28-month, full-time program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA). With its culmination in the DDS degree, the graduating dentist has met the educational requirement for licensure. Please submit your application through ADEA CAAPID.
While this is not an NYU Dentistry Admissions requirement, licensure in New York State requires 6 years of education (1-year pre-professional, 5-year professional), prior to the Advanced Standing program. For more information, please visit the NYSED.
Requirements for licensure may vary in other states.
|Length of Program||28 months|
|Application Opens||March 7, 2024|
|Application Deadline||June 1, 2024|
|Program Start Date||January, 2025|
|Class Size||30 - 40|
English Language Proficiency
- All applicants must be proficient in the English language and are required to take the TOEFL iBT exam. The TOEFL exam will not be waived.
- The minimum required score is 100; no exceptions will be made. We do not accept "MyBest Scores".
- New TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition scores are accepted. NYU Dentistry does not review "MyBest Scores".
- If a TOEFL exam expires anytime between March 7, 2024, and January 2, 2025, the exam must be retaken, with new scores submitted before the June 1, 2024 deadline.
National Board Dental Examination (NBDE Part I & II, INBDE)
- Applicants must pass the NBDE Part I & II or the INBDE exam.
- The NBDE Part I & II or the INBDE score reports must be reported directly from the ADA to ADEA CAAPID.
Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)
- The ADAT is not required.
Letters of Evaluation
- The program requires three (3) letters of evaluation. One (1) letter of evaluation from your dental school dean, and two (2) letters of evaluation from dental school faculty members.
- All letters of evaluation must be sent directly to ADEA CAAPID.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Applicants must submit an official ECE course-by-course evaluation to ADEA CAAPID.
- NYU Dentistry only accepts ECE evaluations and will not accept WES or any other credential evaluators. Applications without an ECE evaluation will not be reviewed.
- Documents such as dental school transcripts, diplomas, and official transcripts from an accredited U.S. or Canadian institution can be uploaded to ADEA CAAPID.
- A non-refundable processing fee of $100.00 (USD) is required to complete your application. Instructions on how to submit the payment will be emailed after the applications are received from ADEA CAAPID.
Kira Talent is an asynchronous video interview platform. This video interview allows us to meet you virtually, get a sense of your character, abilities, and career goals, and see how well you think on your feet. More information will be provided via email once your application is received and meets all requirements.
It is highly recommended that all application requirements be completed before submitting to ADEA CAAPID. The Admissions Committee will only review applications that meet all mandatory requirements.
Before matriculation, all students admitted to NYU Dentistry must complete a criminal background check, the results of which must be satisfactory. NYU Dentistry reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission for a student with a red flag on their criminal background check. Learn more about the criminal background check process from ADEA.