Frequently Asked Questions
Membership is open to all full and part-time NYUCD faculty members. The most important criterion for membership is a willingness to commit time to the Academy. Members are expected to take an active role in Academy activities, including meetings, committees, and sponsored events. Beyond this, applicants should exhibit strength in at least one of the following categories:
- Teaching & Evaluation
- Development of Educational Materials
- Educational Mentorship/Leadership
- Educational Research
Members enjoy the following benefits:
- Contract Renewal for Non-Tenured Faculty: Non-tenured full-time Academy members receive annual 3-year contract renewals upon their acceptance into the Academy.
- Tenure and Promotion: Given the central role of peer review in the process of selecting Academy members, membership will inform the promotions process in a positive manner.
- Impact: Members have opportunities to influence practice and policy at the College.
- Project Funding: Members have access to funds for educational projects .
- Distinguished Educator Lecture Series: Presenting leaders educational thought from both within and with dental education
- The Clinical & Educational Scholarship Sh owcase (CESS): Highlighting accomplishments of NYUCD faculty members
- Pedagogical Training: Basic and advanced teaching training for faculty members
- The Journal of the Academy of Distinguished Educators: A peer-reviewed, online academic journal dedicated to discussing key ideas in dental education
- Educational Projects: These vary based on member interests, but include the development of electronic teaching materials,