Virtual Side Event
Integrating Oral Health Into Global Health: Vision and Roadmap for 2030
Event co-organized by Ministry of Health Sri Lanka & WHO Collaborating Center for Quality Improvement and Evidence-based Dentistry at NYU College of Dentistry, on the occasion of the 74th WHO World Health Assembly
Watch the Zoom recording of the Virtual Side Event by clicking on the image above.
Political priority for oral diseases in a global health context has long been low. This is about to change. A major milestone was the adoption of a resolution on oral health during the 148th Executive Board meeting of WHO in January 2021. Member States called for the development of a global oral health strategy, action plan, and monitoring framework in order to integrate oral health with Universal Health Coverage and the global NCD agenda by 2030. The endorsement of the resolution is on the agenda of the upcoming World Health Assembly taking place from 24 May until 1 June 2021.
Almost half of the world’s population suffers from one or several oral diseases. Tooth decay, severe gum diseases, toothlessness, and oral cancer are largely preventable oral diseases, yet have a serious impact on individuals, health systems, and economies at large. The disease burden and related consequences show significant inequities, particularly affecting low- and lower-middle-income countries and disadvantaged populations everywhere.
This side event will explore the urgent need for impactful action on oral health through policies and health systems, globally and within countries. Speakers and panelists will discuss possible milestones of the process for the coming decade, implications for strengthening Universal Health Coverage, and the vision of good oral health for all.
Welcome & introduction of chairs, and participants
Welcome addresses/introductory remarks
- Dr. Asela Gunawardena; Director General of Health Services, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
- Dr. Charles Bertolami; Dean, NYU College of Dentistry
The state of oral health worldwide – highlights from the Lancet Series on Oral Health
- Dr. Carol Guarnizo-Herreno; Co-chair Lancet Commission on Oral Health, Colombia
Policy pathway towards oral health for all
- Dr. Benoit Varenne; Dental Officer, NCD Department, WHO Geneva
From policy to action – expectations, support needs and next steps
- Introduction to moderated panel discussion and panelists
- Dr. Ananda Jayalal; Deputy Director General of Health Services, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
- Dr. Lene Vilstrup; Chief Dental Officer, Ministry of Health, Denmark
- H.E. Ambassador Ken Okaniwa; Permanent Mission of Japan, Switzerland
- Dr. Miriam Muriithi; Chief Dental Officer, Ministry of Health, Kenya
- Dr. Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai; Director General, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand
- Nina Renshaw; Policy & Advocacy Director, NCD Alliance, Geneva/London
- Dr. Bente Mikkelsen; Director NCD Department, WHO Geneva
Final statements of panellists
- Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka / WHO Collaborating Center for Quality Improvement & Evidence-based Dentistry, NYU Dentistry
Moderator: Dr. Habib Benzian; WHO Collaborating Center for Quality Improvement & Evidence-based Dentistry, NYU Dentistry