André V. Ritter, DDS, MS, MBA, PhD
Dept. of Cariology & Comprehensive Care
137 E 25th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10010
- DDS, Dentistry, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil, 1987
- MS, Operative Dentistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2000
- MBA, Healthcare Administration, Northeastern University, Boston, 2013
- PhD, Universidade Positivo, Brazil, 2019
- 2019 Honorary Membership, UNC Dental Alumni Association
- 2019 Samuel Fonseca Medal of Honor, Santa Catarina Academy of Dentistry
- 2016 Thomas P. Hinman Distinguished Professorship in Restorative Dentistry
- 2014 Fulbright Specialist Roster candidate
- 2014 UNC Celebration of Faculty Diversity, Achievement and Success recognition
- 2013 Omega Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society, Faculty Member Induction
- 2011 UNC Chapel Hill Class of 1958 Award, for best clinical research paper with the paper "An eight-year clinical evaluation of filled and unfilled one-bottle dental adhesives." Ritter AV, Swift EJ, Heymann HO, Sturdevant JR, Wilder AD. J Am Dent Assoc 2009,140(1): 28-37
- 2011 Nominated for Faculty Award for Excellence in Doctoral Mentoring, UNC Chapel Hill
- 2005 Organization for Safety and Asepsis Procedures (OSAP) James A. Cottone Investigative Research Award with the presentation "Influence of Dental Unit Waterline Biocides On Dentin Bond Strengths," by Ghaname E, Ritter AV, and Leonard RH.
- 2004 Junior Faculty Development Award, UNC Chapel Hill
- 2004 University Research Council Grant Award, UNC Chapel Hill
- 2003 American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry Research Grant Award
- 2002 AADR Gies Award for the paper “Unique enamel phenotype associated with amelogenin gene (AMELX) codon 41 point mutation.” Ravassipour DB, Hart PS, Hart TC, Ritter AV, Yamauchi M, Gibson C, Wright JT. J Dent Res 2002 (7):1476-1481
- 2000 Prestigious External Awards Recognition, UNC Chapel Hill, The Graduate School
- 1999 Turner Award, Dental Research in Review Day, Ph.D. Oral Presentation, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1998 Prestigious External Awards Recognition, UNC Chapel Hill, The Graduate School
- 1997 DDS Class of 1997 "Class Name Award," School of Dentistry, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
Research Interests / Professional Overview
Dr. André Ritter graduated from the Federal University of Santa Catarina School of Dentistry in 1987 and practiced in various settings, including private practice and community public health clinics, before relocating to the US and joining the University of North Carolina (UNC) Operative Dentistry graduate program in 1997. After graduating from that program with both a Certificate in Operative Dentistry and a Masters of Science in Dentistry degree, he was appointed as a full time Assistant Professor in the UNC Department of Operative Dentistry in 2000. Dr. Ritter was appointed Associate Professor with tenure in 2006, Full Professor in 2012, and went on to become Graduate Program Director and Department Chair at UNC. In 2016 he received the Thomas P. Hinman Distinguished Professor of Restorative Dentistry distinction. In January of 2018 he assumed the role of Executive Dean of the UNC Adams School of Dentistry, and in November of 2019 he relocated to New York City where he started his tenure as Professor and Chair of the Department of Cariology and Comprehensive care at the New York University College of Dentistry. In addition to a DDS and MS degrees, Dr. Ritter completed an MBA with specialization in Healthcare Management (Northeastern University, 2013) and a PhD in Dentistry (Universidade Positivo, 2019).
Dr. Ritter’s areas of research interest include caries diagnosis and management, conservative/minimally invasive restorative dentistry, esthetics, dental adhesion, and composite resin applications.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
- Ritter AV, Boushell LW, Walter R, eds. Sturdevant’s Art and Science of Operative Dentistry, 7th ed. St Louis: Elsevier; 2018: 530 pages. Digital version available online.
- Ritter AV. Operative Dentistry. In: Dowd F, ed. Mosby’s Review for the NBDE Part II, 2nd ed. St Louis:Elsevier; 2014:35-78.
- Ritter AV, Sulaiman TA, Rodgers BM, Baratto-Filho F, Cunha L, Gonzaga CC, Correr GM. Effect of surface treatment and cement type on dentin bonding of processed composite resin. Am J Dent (accepted Sept 11, 2019).
- Ritter AV, Sulaiman TA, Altitinchi A, Bair E, Baratto F, Gonzaga CC, Correr GM. Composite-Composite Adhesion as a Function of Adhesive-Composite Material and Surface Treatment. Oper Dent 2019;44(4):348-354.
- Ritter AV, Preisser JS, Puranik CP, Chung Y, Bader JD, Shugars DA, Makhija S, Vollmer WM. A Predictive Model for Root Caries Incidence. Caries Res 2016;50:271-278. PMID: 27160516
- Ritter AV, Bader JD, Leo MC, Preisser JS, Shugars DA, Vollmer WM, Amaechi BT, Holland JC, for the X-ACT Collaborative Research Group. Tooth-surface-specific effects of xylitol: randomized trial results. J Dent Res 2013;92(6):512-517. PMID: 23589387
- Ritter AV, Preisser JS, Chung Y, Bader JD, Shugars DA, Amaechi BT, Makhija SK, Funkhouser KA, Vollmer WM, for the X-ACT Collaborative Research Group. Risk indicators for the presence and extent of root caries among caries-active adults enrolled in the Xylitol for Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT). Clin Oral Investig 2012;16(6):1647-1657. PMID: 22198596
PhD-equivalent degree, broadly recognized as a "doctorate" level degree in Brazil