Charles N. Bertolami, DDS, DMedS
Herman Robert Fox Dean
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
421 First Avenue, 10th floor, New York, NY 10010
DMedSc, Harvard University 1979
DDS, summa cum laude, The Ohio State University 1974
- Dean, NYU College of Dentistry: 2007-present
- Dean, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Dentistry: 1995-2007
- Appointed Chair, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, UCLA: 1989
- Faculty, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Harvard School of Dental Medicine: 1983-1989
- Faculty, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Connecticut: 1980-1983
- Chief Resident, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital: 1979-1980
- President of the American Association for Dental Research (AADR): 2002-2003
- Named President-Elect of the American Dental Education Association (ADEA): 2007-2008
- Two-term member of the Overseers Visiting Committee for the Faculty of Medicine and Dental Medicine, Harvard.
- Distinguished Alumnus, The Ohio State University College of Dentistry: 1996
- Distinguished Alumnus, Harvard School of Dental Medicine: 2000
- Percy T. Phillips Visiting Professor, Columbia University: 2002
- Vincent A. Barr Visiting Professor, University of Kentucky
- Recipient of Paul Goldhaber Award of the Harvard School of Dental Medicine: 2003
- Co-chair (with Joseph Martin), NIDCR Blue Ribbon Panel on Research Training and Career Development: 2000)
- Co-chair (with Peter Johnson), NIH Workshop on Biomimetics, Tissue Engineering, and Biomaterials: 1998
- Chair, American Association of Dental Schools (AADS) Committee on Future Faculty: 1998-1999
- Member of several editorial boards, including the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Dentists (FACD)
- Fellow of the International College of Dentists (FICD)
- Frequently invited speaker for the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) addressing deans and development officers on fundraising in higher education.
Research Interests/Professional Overview
Orofacial tissue repair; biochemistry of hyaluronic acid; use of sodium hyaluronate in treatment of temporomandibular disorders; and professional ethics.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.