Gary S. Berkowitz, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor
Cariology and Comprehensive Care
Floor 5S Schwartz Hall, 345 East 24Th Street
DDS, Dentistry, New York University College of Dentistry 1976
BA, Chemistry, Queens College of the City of New York 1973
- 2008 Academy for Academic Leadership Clinical Teaching Excellence
- 2006-2007 PEARL Network Certificate of Appreciation for dedicated service
- 2005-2006 PEARL Network Certificate of Appreciation for dedicated service
- 2004 The Shofar Award – Given by the National Jewish Committee on Scouting for outstanding service in behalf of Jewish youth in the program of the Boy Scouts of America
- 1997 Lion of Judah Award - Given by the State of Israel Bonds for Community Service
- 1993 Legion of Merit for ten years of service to New York District of Kiwanis International
- 1992 Certificate of Appreciation for ten years of devoted and outstanding service Nassau County Medical Center
- 1988-1989 Certificate of Appreciation for Valuable Contribution to the Continuing Dental Education Program at Nassau County Medical Center
- 1973 B.A. Cum Laude, Queens College of the City University of New York
Research Interests/Professional Overview
Dr. Gary Berkowitz graduated from New York University College of Dentistry in 1976. Upon graduation he went directly into private general dentistry practice. He established his own general dentistry practice in 1981which is still active today. Dr. Berkowitz was first appointed to the faculty in January 2001. Since his initial appointment as part time faculty, Dr. Berkowitz has increased his involvement at the College and in October of 2004 he received an appointment as full time faculty and became a Clinical Associate Professor in 2007. In September of 2008 he was appointed a Group Practice Director.
In addition to teaching and his private practice, Dr. Berkowitz has published multiple articles raging from original research to case studies.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
Apltauer, D.D.S., James J., Silver, D.D.S., Joel, Friedman, D.D.S. ,Lawrence J., Resnick, D.D.S., Steven J., Berkowitz, D.D.S., Leonard I., Rochlen, D.D.S., Glenn K., Blye, D.D.S., Jeffrey S., Hershkowitz, D.D.S., David H., Berkowitz, D.D.S., Gary S., “Use of a visible light-cured periodontal dressing material as a temporary restoration for inlay/onlay preparations” General Dentistry May/June 2013 e17-20
Berkowitz, DDS, Gary S., Spielman, DDS, Howard, Matthews, PhD, Abigail G., Vena, BS, Donald, Craig, DMD, PhD, Ronald G., Curro, DMD, PhD, Frederick A., Thompson, DDS, PhD, Van P.," Postoperative Hypersensitivity and Relationship to Preparation Variables in Class I Resin-based Composite Restorations: Finding from the Practitioners Engaged in Applied Research and Learning (PEARL)"
Print Abstract: Compendium for Continuing Education, March 2013, Volume 34, Issue 3: 223
Berkowitz, DDS, Gary S., Joel Silver, DDS, Arnold Widman, DDS, "Interdisciplinary Approach for the Management of Peg Lateral Incisors in Adolescents " Journal of the Massachusetts Dental Society, Summer 2012: 40-41
Berkowitz, DDS, Gary S., Alan J. Horowitz, DMD, Frederick A. Curro, DMD, PhD, Ronald G. Craig, DMD, PhD, Jonathan A. Ship, DMD, PhD, Donald A. Vena, Van P. Thompson, DDS, PhD. "Postoperative Hypersensitivity in Class I Resin-based Composite Restorations in General Practice: Interim Results." Compendium Volume 30, Number 6(2009): 356-363, Print
Berkowitz GS, Lehane RJ. “Nickel sensitivity: A case report,” General Dentistry (9 January 2008),
Veitz-Keenan, D.D.S., Analia, Gary S. Berkowitz, D.D.S., Irene Brandes, D.D.S., Kenneth L. Goldberg, D.M.D., David A. Hamlin, D.M.D., Robert Margolin, D.D.S. and Kay Oen, D.D.S.. "Practice-Based Research Networks A Win-Win for Private-Practice Dentists and the Future of Dentistry." New York State Dental Journal. v73, n3 (2007): 14-15, Print.
Berkowitz, D.D.S, Gary S., and Harry G. Meeker, D.M.D., M.B.A. "Pouring Crown and Bridge Impressions: Helpful Hint." New York State Dental Journal v72, n3 (2006): 19, Print.