Joseph B. Guttenplan, MS, PhD
345 East 24th Street, Room 1015-S, New York, NY 10010
Visit the Guttenplan Lab website >>>
Honors / Credentials
- Presidential Nominee for Soc. of Toxicology subsection on carcinogenesis, 2015
- Invited speaker at 9th International Conference of Anticancer Research, 6-10 October 2014, Sithonia, Greece
- WTO scientific expert on Hormones in Beef in Panel, 2006
- Member editorial board, Mutation Research, Nutrition and Cancer
- Air Force Summer Faculty Visiting Scientist, 1996
- Visiting Scientist, NIH Rocky Mountain Lab, 1988
Invited speaker at meetings
- Panel member: Public Workshop Nitrosamines as Impurities in Drugs; Health Risk Assessment and Mitigation Workshop. March 29 – 30, 2021.
- 16th Heidelberger Symposium, NYU College of Medicine, 2007
- AAAS Southwestern Meeting, 2006
- Era of Hope, 2005
- NIH focus group, Cancer Cube, 2002
- 3rd International Conference on Smokeless Tobacco, 2002
- 4th Chemical Congress of North America & 202 ACS National Meeting, 1991
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, Dept of Medicine Minicourse on Enzyme Kinetics, 1985
- Hoffman LaRoche, Meeting on Inhibition of Carcinogenesis by Vitamins, 1980
Chaired scientific sessions at
- the 8th International Conference on Environmental Mutagens (2001)
- AADR/IADR Annual Meeting (1999)
- International Environmental Mutagenesis Meeting (1989)
- the Environmental Mutagen Society National Meeting (1982)
Research Interests / Professional Overview
- Induction of DNA repair.
- Effects of nutrients on spontaneous and chemically induced mutagenesis in lacI transgenic mice.
- Effects of nutaceuticals and tobacco on gene expression in human and rodent tissues.
- Mutagenesis by smokeless tobacco, tobacco components, and tobacco carcinogens in lacZ transgenic mice.
- Detection of chemically modified DNA in human oral tissue.
- Metabolism of tobacco carcinogens by human oral tissue.
- Development of sensitive fluorescent assays to detect DNA damage.
Chemical Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis
- Research in my laboratory focuses on measuring mutations in tissues of lacZ transgenic mice, and cultured cells, chemoprevention of mutagenesis, development of high sensitivity fluorescence assays for detection of modified nucleotides from DNA, the metabolism of carcinogens, interactions of carcinogens with DNA, detection of carcinogen-DNA adducts, and determination of mutational spectra of carcinogens. Laboratory methodologies include high performance liquid chromatography, mutagenesis, PCR, enzyme assays, gene arrays.
- 1R21 DE 029711: Genotoxic and mutagenic effects of combinations of e-cigarettes and tobacco carcinogens in mouse oral tissues
- NIH grant # R01-CA173465 Effects of black raspberries on oral carcinogenesis
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
El-Bayoumy K, Zhang SM, Sun YW, Amin S, Stoner G, Guttenplan, JB. Carcinogenesis of the oral cavity: Environmental causes and potential prevention by black raspberry. Chem Res Toxicol 30 (2017) 126-144.
Chen KM, Guttenplan JB, Sun JW, Cooper T, Shalaby NAE, Kosinska W, Benitez G, Aliga C, Zhu J, Liao J, Gowda K, Amin S, Stoner G, El-Bayoumy K. Effects of Black Raspberry on Dibenzo[a,l]Pyrene Diol Epoxide Induced DNA Adducts, Mutagenesis and Tumorigenesis in the Mouse Oral Cavity. (2017) Cancer Prev Res (Phila PA), in press.
Guttenplan JB, Chen KM, Sun YW, Lajara B, Shalaby NAE, Kosinska W, Benitez G, Gowda K, Amin S, Stoner G, El-Bayoumy K. Effects of black raspberry extract and berry compounds on repair of DNA damage and mutagenesis induced by chemical and physical agents in human oral leukoplakia and rat oral fibroblasts, Chem Res Toxicol, DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemrestox.7b00242, Date (Web): October 25, 2017 (Article).
Guttenplan JB, Sun YW, Kosinska W, Zhou Y, Kim SA, Sung Y, Gowda K, Amin S, Stoner GD, El-Bayoumy K. Effects of black raspberry extract and protocatechuic acidon carcinogen-DNA adducts and mutagenesis, and oxidative stress in rat and human oral cells. Cancer Prevention Res 9 (2016) 704-712.
Ashley N, Terrell AN, Huynh M, Grill AE, Kovi RC, O'Sullivan MG, Guttenplan JB, Ho YY, and Peterson, LA. Mutagenicity of furan in female Big Blue B6C3F1 mice. Mutation Research, Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, (2014).
Mohebati A, Guttenplan JB, Kochhar A, Zhao Z-L, Kosinska W, Subbaramaiah K and Dannenberg AJ. Carnosol, a Constituent of Zyflamend, Inhibits Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor-Mediated Activation of CYP1A1 and CYP1B1 Transcription and Mutagenesis. Cancer Prev Res, 5, 593-602 (2012). PMID: 2374940.
Chen KM, Guttenplan JB, Zhang SM, Aliaga C, Cooper TK, Sun YW, Deltondo J, Kosinska W, Sharma AK, Jiang K, Bruggeman R, Ahn K, Amin S, El-Bayoumy K., Mechanisms of oral carcinogenesis induced by dibenzo[a,l]pyrene: An environmental pollutant and a tobacco smoke constituent. Int J Cancer, 133, 1300-9 (2013) PMID: 23483552.
Kochhar A, Kopelovich L, Sue E, Guttenplan JB, Herbert B-S, Dannenberg AJ, and Subbaramaiah K. p53 Modulates Hsp90 ATPase Activity and Regulates Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Signaling. Cancer Prev. Res., 7, 596-606 (2014). PMID: 24736433.
Kosinska W, Khmelnitsky M, Kim J-H, Zhao Z-L, and Guttenplan JB. Effects of Potential Dietary Inhibitors of Endogenous DNA Damage on Mutagenesis and Lipid Peroxidation in lacZ Mice, Environmental & Molecular Mutagenesis. 52, 502-9, (2011). PMID: 21538553.
Zhiming He, Wieslawa Kosinska, Zhong-Lin Zhao, Xue-Ru Wu, Joseph B. Guttenplan. Tissue-specific mutagenesis by N-butyl-N-(4-hydroxybutyl)nitrosamine as the basis for urothelial carcinogenesis. Mutation Research/Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis, 742, (1-2), 92-95 (2012). UI 22155125
Mohebati A, Guttenplan JB, Kochhar A, Zhao Z-L, Kosinska W, Subbaramaiah K. and Dannenberg AJ. Carnosol, a Constituent of Zyflamend, Inhibits Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor-Mediated Activation of CYP1A1 and CYP1B1 Transcription and Mutagenesis. Cancer Prev Res, 5, 593-602 (2012). PMID: 2374940.
Guttenplan JB, Kosinska W, Zhao ZL, Chen KM, Aliaga C, Deltondo J, Cooper T, Sun YW, Zhang S, Jiang K, Bruggeman R, Sharma AK, Amin S, Ahn K, El-Bayoumy K, Mutagenesis and carcinogenesis induced by dibenzo[a,l]pyrene in the mouse oral cavity: A potential new model for oral cancer, Int J Cancer. 130, 2783-90 (2011) PMID: 21815141.
Sacks PG, Zhao ZL, Kosinska W, Fleisher K, Gordon T, Guttenplan JB. Concentration dependent effects of tobacco particulates from different types of cigarettes on expression of drug metabolizing proteins, and benzo(a)pyrene metabolism in primary normal human oral epithelial cells, Food Chem Toxicol, 49, 2348-55 (2011) PMID: 21722697.
Chen KM, Sacks PG, Spratt TE, Lin JM, Boyiri T, Schwartz J, Richie JP, Calcagnotto A, Das A, Bortner J, Zhao Z, Amin S, Guttenplan J, El-Bayoumy K. Modulations of benzo[a]pyrene-induced DNA adduct, cyclin D1 and PCNA in oral tissue by 1,4-phenylenebis(methylene)selenocyanate. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 383, 151-5. (2009). PMID: 19344691
Nair S, Kekatpure VD, Judson BL, Rifkind AB, Granstein RD, Boyle JO, Subbaramaiah K, Guttenplan JB, and Dannenberg AJ. UVR Exposure Sensitizes Keratinocytes to DNA Adduct Formation, Cancer Prev. Res., 2, 895 - 902 (2009). PMCID: PMC2758323.
Santen R, Cavalieri E, Rogan E, Russo J, Guttenplan JB, Ingle J, and Yue W. Estrogen mediation of breast tumor formation involves estrogen receptor dependent as well independent, genotoxic effects, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci., 1155,132-40 (2009). PMID: 19250200.
Sun YW, Guttenplan JB, Khmelnitsky M, Krzeminski J, Boyiri T, Amin S, El-Bayoumy K., Stereoselective metabolism of the environmental mammary carcinogen 6-nitrochrysene to trans-1,2-dihydroxy-1,2-dihydro-6-nitrochrysene by aroclor 1254-treated rat liver microsomes and their comparative mutation profiles in a laci mammary epithelial cell line. Chem Res Toxicol.,12, 1992-7 (2009). PMID: 19886636
Hughes D, Guttenplan JB, Marcus CB, Subbaramaiah K, and Dannenberg AJ. HSP90 Inhibitors Suppress Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor-Mediated Activation of CYP1A1 and CYP1B1 Transcription and DNA Adduct Formation. Cancer Prev. Res., 1, 485-93 (2008). PMCID: PMC2680610.
Guttenplan JB, Chen K-M, Khmelnitsky M, Kosinska W, Hennessy J, Bruggeman R, Desai D, Amin S, Sun Y-W, Spratt T, and El-Bayoumy K. Effects of 1,4-phenylenebis (methylene) selenocyanate on mutagenesis and p53 protein expression in the tongue of lacI rats treated with 4-nitroquinoline-N-oxide, Mutation Res., 634, 146-155 (2007). PMCID: PMC2700054.