Michael B. Ferguson, DMD, CAGS
Clinical Associate Professor
380 Second Avenue, Suite 301, New York, NY 10010
- CAGS, AEGD, Boston University School of Dental Medicine 1990
- DMD, Dentistry, Boston University School of Dental Medicine 1989
- BA, Chemistry/ German, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill 1984
Boston University Goldman School of Graduate Dentistry
- 1989 American College of Dentists Award
- 1989 International College of Dentists Award
- 1989 Academy of Operative Dentistry Award
- 1989 American Dental Society of Anesthesiology Award
HARVARD SCHOOL OF DENTAL MEDICINE
- 1997 Alpha Omega Teaching Award
- 1998 Outstanding Core Clinical Faculty Member of the Year
- 1998-2004 Multiple Individual Student Appreciation Certificates
- 1999 Omega Kappa Upsilon, Honor Society (Gamma Gamma Chapter)
- 1999 Nominee, A. Clifford Barger Excellence in Mentoring Award
- 2000 Outstanding Core Clinical Faculty Member of the Year
- 2001 Distinguished Faculty Award
- 2003 HMS/HSDM Excellence in Mentoring Award
- 2004 Nominee, Excellence in Mentoring Award, Harvard Medical School
New York University College of Dentistry
- 2004 Omega Kappa Upsilon, Honor Society- Chapter (Transfer)
- 2011 Student Council Appreciation Award for Outstanding Service and Dedication to the Students of NYU College of Dentistry
- 2013 Student Council Award for "Prosthodontist of the Year"
- 2014 Student Council Award for "Prosthodontist of the Year"
- 2015 Inductee, NYU Academy of Distinguished Educators
RESEARCH INTERESTS / PROFESSIONAL OVERVIEW
Dr. Michael Ferguson completed his D.M.D. training and AEGD Certificate at Boston University School of Dental Medicine. He has taught pre-doctoral and post-doctoral residents in dentistry at Boston University School of Dental Medicine and at Harvard University School of Dental Medicine as well as at the Harvard Medical School. He is currently the Co-Director of Pre-doctoral Fixed Clinical Prosthodontics at NYU College of Dentistry. His clinical areas of expertise include diagnosis, treatment planning, and restorative dentistry. He has been an active clinician, researcher and teacher since 1989.
His research areas of interest include, tooth whitening/color and pre-clinical and clinical/didactic academic education programs. His most recent collaborate project included a satisfaction survey of patients receiving implants @ NYUCD. Dr Ferguson has authored/co-authored numerous peer reviewed articles and has recently co-authored a book entitled "Clinical Cases in Prosthodontics"
His mission as an educator is to teach ethical sound treatment planning and proper treatment sequencing and to assure an extensive clinical experience using the latest proven techniques and materials. As a teacher, he has an expertise in curriculum development including Problem Based Learning (PBL) and electronic case-based course materials. He lectures to the undergraduates, is actively involved in clinical supervision, and mentors both students and faculty in the clinics. He serves Nationally and Internationally as a CODA/ADA consultant, and is a member or chaired educational committees school wide and nationally.
Dr. Ferguson practices Restorative and Implant Dentistry at the NYU Dental Faculty Practice in New York City.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
Moghadam M., Dias R.,Kuyinu E., Ferguson M., Jahangiri L., Predoctoral Fixed Implant Patient Satisfaction Outcome and Challenges of a Clinical Implant Competency J Dent Ed, 2012 (76) 4:437-442.
"Clinical Cases in Prosthodontics" L.Jahangiri,M Moghadam,M. Choi,M. Ferguson, Wiley Publishing 2010.
Niederman R., Ferguson M., Urdaneta R., Badovinac R., Christie D., Tantraphol M., Rasool F. Evidence-Based Esthetic Dentistry. J Esthetic Dent 1998;10:229-234.
Niederman R., Tantraphol M., Shoushtari B., Rasool F., Slinin P., Urdaneta R., Ferguson M. The Methods of Evidence-Based Dentistry. Quintessence Int 1998;29:811-817.
Niederman R., Tantraphol M., Conway S., Ferguson M., Redmond P., Hayes C. Effectiveness of Dentist-Prescribed, Home-Applied Tooth Whitening a meta-analysis. J Contemp Dent Practice 2000;4:1-16.
Ferguson M, Sobel M, Niederman R. Pre-clinical Restorative Training. J Dent Ed, 2002 (66)10:1159-1162.
Nishimura K., Rasool F.,Ferguson M., Sobel M., Niederman R. Benchmarking the Clinical Dental Literature on MEDLINE. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Nov; 88(5):533-41.
Ishikawa-Nagai S, Terui T, Ishibashi K, Weber H., Ferguson M. Prediction of Optical Efficacy of Vital Tooth Bleaching Using Regression Analysis. Color Research and Application 2004; 29:5 ,390-394.
Ishikawa-Nagai S., Terui T., Ishibashi K., Weber H., Ferguson M. Comparison of Effectiveness of Two 10% Carbamide Peroxide Tooth-Bleaching Systems Using Spectrophotometric Measurements. J. Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, 2004; 16:368-375.
Ohyama H., Nagai S., Tokutomi H., Ferguson M., Recreating an Esthetic Smile: A Multidisciplinary Approach. The International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry 2007; Jan/Feb Vol. 27, (1) 61-69.
Reviews and Editorials
Ferguson, M. Teeth Bleaching. L’Information Dentaire 1999; vol. 81 (14) 1019 du 7 Avril.
Ferguson, M. Call for Commentary: Sealants Effective in Reducing Caries. British Dental Journal 1999, [Editorial Review] Nov.
Ferguson, M. Principles of Direct Composite Placement. L’Information Dentaire 2001; vol. 82 (31) du 20.
Ferguson, M. The Curing Light. L’Information Dentaire, 2001; vol. 83 (37) du 31 Oct.
Ferguson, M. The Art and Science of Designing a Smile. L’Information Dentaire, 2002; vol. 84 (05) du 30.
Clinical Communications/Case Reports
Charchut S, Ferguson M. Achieving excellence in the predoctoral clinic: a porcelain veneer case report. J Cosmetic Dentistry 2002;18(1).