Wenbo Yan, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Room 536, 137 East 25th St
New York, NY 10010
Dr. Wenbo Yan is a faculty of Molecular Pathobiology. Prior to joining NYU College of Dentistry in November, 2017 as Clinical Assistant Professor and pharmacology course director, he had served as Associate Professor and Vice Chair in the Department of Biology at Nyack College, NY. Dr. Yan, who received his doctoral degree from the Rutgers University in the area of endocrinology, completed a postdoctoral research fellowship in the Department of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases at The University of Michigan Medical School.
PhD, Endocrinology, Rutgers University 2005
BS, Physiology and Biophysics, Beijing University 1997
RESEARCH INTERESTS / PROFESSIONAL OVERVIEW
- Impact of diabetes on skeletal diseases
- Effects of diabetes and its treatment on tumorigenesis
- Metabolic regulation of cancer
- Microbiome and inflammatory diseases
- Educational research: Innovations in didactic course teaching, new methods of assessment, improvement of student awareness and engagement, and implementation of clinical relevance and critical thinking strategies in dental education.
- Biomedical research: the impact of diabetic and other metabolic conditions on bone (dental) physiology/pathology and tumorigenesis.
Complete listing available on the NYU Health Sciences Library site.
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Bagnell CA, Yan W, Wiley AA and Bartol FF. Effects of relaxin on neonatal porcine uterine growth and development. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1041:248-55, 2005
- Yan W, Wiley AA, Bartol FF and Bagnell CA. Tissue-specific response to relaxin in the reproductive tract of neonatal gilts. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1041:132-5, 2005
- Yan W, Ryan PL, Bartol FF and Bagnell CA. Uterotrophic effects of relaxin are dependent on estrogen receptor activation in neonatal gilts. Reproduction 131(5):943-50, 2006
- Yan W, Wiley AA, Bathgate RA, Frankshun A, Lasano S, Steinetz BG, Bagnell CA and Bartol FF. Expression of lgr7 and lgr8 by neonatal porcine uterine tissues and transmission of milk-borne relaxin into the neonatal circulation by suckling. Endocrinology 147(9):4303-10, 2006
- Masters RA, Crean BD, Yan W, Moss AG, Wiley AA, Bagnell CA, and Bartol FF. Neonatal Porcine Endometrial Development and Epithelial Proliferation Affected by Age and Exposure to Estrogen and Relaxin. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 33(3):335-46, 2007
- Ho T, Yan W and Bagnell CA. Relaxin-induced matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression is associated with activation of the NF-B pathway in human THP-1 cells. J Leukoc Biol. 81(5):1303-10, 2007
- Yan W, Chen J, Wiley AA, Crean-Harris BD, Bartol FF and Bagnell CA. Relaxin and estrogen affect estrogen receptor-, vascular endothelial growth factor and relaxin receptor expression in the neonatal porcine uterus and cervix. Reproduction 135:705-712, 2008
- Moss ML, Stoeck A, Yan W and Dempsey PJ. ADAM10 as a target for anti-cancer therapy. Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology 9(1):2-8, 2008
- Gelling RW, Yan W, Al-noori S, Pardini Aaron, Morton GJ, Ogimoto K, Schwartz MW, and Dempsey PJ. Deficiency of TNF Converting Enzyme (TACE/ADAM17) Causes a Lean, Hypermetabolic Phenotype in Mice. Endocrinology 149: 6053-6064, 2009
- Wicksteed B, Brissova M, Yan W, Opland DM, Plank JL, Reinert RL, Dickson LM, Tamarina NA, Philipson LH, Shostak A, Bernal-Mizrachi E, Roe MW, Labosky PA, Myers, Jr. MG, Gannon M, Powers AC, and Dempsey PJ. Conditional gene targeting in mouse pancreatic -cells: Analysis of ectopic Cre transgene expression in the brain. Diabetes 59(12):3090-8, 2010
- Yan W and Li X. Impact of diabetes and its treatment on skeletal diseases. Frontiers in Medicine 7(1):81-90, 2013
- Akinyeke T, Matsumura S, Wang X, Wu Y, Schalfer ED, Saxena A, Yan W, Logan SK, Li X. Metformin targets c-MYC oncogene to prevent prostate cancer. Carcinogenesis. 34(12):2823-32, 2013
- Pushalkar S, Li X, Kurago Z, Ramanathapuram LV, Matsumura S, Fleisher KE3, Glickman R, Yan W, Li Y, Saxena D. Oral microbiota and host innate immune response in bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw. Int J Oral Sci. 6(4):219-26, 2014.
- Li X, Guo Y, Yan W, Snyder MP, Li X. Metformin improves diabetic bone health by re-balancing catabolism and nitrogen disposal. PLoS One. 30;10(12): e0146152, 2015
- Saha S, Yan W*, Washington JM, Davis WB, Barbazuk WB, Mendellin R, Mendez A, Ramos J, Sadana R, Edmonds M, Feng G, Ilyas M, Kaiser J, Monroe S, Pham T, Cresawn T, Garlena R, Stoner T, Russell D, Pope W, Jacobs-Sera D, and Hatfull GF. Genome Sequences of Mycobacteriophages Findley, Hurricane, and TBond007. Genome Announcement 5(45): 1-2, 2017
* Joint effort of four institutes, contributing equally
- Yan W* et al. An inclusive Research Education Community (iREC): Impact of the SEA-PHAGES program on research outcomes and student learning. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 114(51): 13531–13536, 2017
* National research program with over forty participating institutes, contributing to data collection and program development
- Yang J, Guo Y, Seo W, Zhang R, Lu C, Wang Y, Luo L, Paul B, Yan W, Saxena D, Li X. Targeting cellular metabolism to reduce head and neck cancer growth. Scientific Report. 2019 Mar 21; 9(1):4995.
- Yang J, Guo Y, Lu C, Zhang R, Wang Y, Luo L, Zhang Y, Chu CH, Wang KJ, Obbad S, Yan W, Li X. Inhibition of Karyopherin beta 1 suppresses prostate cancer growth. Oncogene. 2019 Jun; 38(24):4700-4714.
- D1 Principles of Pharmacology (course director)
- D1 Microbiology (lecturer)
- D2 Body and Diseases (lecturer)
- D3 Introduction to Oral Maxillofacial Surgery (co-course director)
- Post-graduate program: Postgraduate Interdisciplinary Seminars (lecturer)
- Graduate program: Integrative Seminars in Oral Biology I (lecturer)
- 2019 Dean’s Award NYUCD
- 2018 Nominee for Faculty of the Year (2017-2018) NYUCD Student Council
- 2018 Faculty of the Month (January, 2018) NYUCD Student Council
- 2014 Junior Professor of the Year Award Nyack College