- Due to COVID-19, Saturday Academy may be required to have a delayed start or conduct some portions of the program virtually. Updates about this status will be sent out to those accepted as soon as they are determined.
Mission and Background
The mission of the Saturday Academy is to increase diversity in the healthcare professions, especially dentistry, by introducing underrepresented high school students to the profession of dentistry, while simultaneously preparing them for the college application process.
Established in 2012 by Dr. Lorel Burns and Dr. Cheryline Pezzullo — at the time, both second-year students at the College — this preparatory program meets biweekly on Saturdays, 7 sessions per Fall semester, and has introduced 85 high school students to the field of dentistry as a career option. Read the Global Health Nexus article on the Saturday Academy >>>
The NYU Dentistry Saturday Academy is thankful to the ADEAGies Foundation for its contribution to our programming expansion effort: Lengthening the Pipeline for Program Alumni (2020-2021).
- The 2020 Saturday Academy application is now closed. We thank you for your interest and encourage you to apply next year when our 2021 cycle begins!
Resources for Alumni
Fall semester, bi-weekly, 7 sessions
- Introduction to Dentistry / College Search
- Impressions / Standardized Tests
- Mouth Guards / Common Application
- Plaque / Personal Statement
- Dental Restorations / Interviews
- Wax-Ups / Financial Aid
PROGRAM LEADERS 2020-21
- Giannina Conde '21
- Sandy Dief '23
- Betty Dalmasi Gomez '23
- Jhennelle S Davis '22
- Claudia Flores '23
- Pirouz Khoubian '22
- Meredith E Louisville '22
- Amanda Perez '23