Histology and Correlative Microscopy Core
The HCMC provides comprehensive facilities for the preparation of samples for light and electron microscopy and for molecular and elemental diagnostics.
- Buehler grinding and polishing and preparation
- Buehler thin sectioning
- Exakt thin sectioning system
Gigapixel imaging in 2D
The HCMC specializes in providing very high resolution gigapixel images of histological thin sections, typically within 5-15 minutes, combined with light and electron correlative microscopy.
- Zeiss Axiolmager M1m + Correlative Microscopy and gigapixel montaging workstation
- Leica-Aperio GL ScanScope
- Leica DMRXE Universal Microscope + Objective Imaging gigapixel montaging workstation
- Epson V800 Photo scanner
HCMC confocal microscopy includes conventional laser imaging, but also has superior refection imaging white light confocal microscopes, including a portable model.
- Technical Instrument K2-S BIO Confocal Microscope
- Technical Instrument K2-S BIO Portable Confocal Microscope
- Zeiss AxioVert 200 + Perkin-Elmer UltraView ERS 3E Laser Confocal Microscope
Molecular and elemental diagnostics
HCMC is one of the few laboratories in the world to provide simultaneous elemental composition of liquids and solids across the full spectrum of the periodic table, in addition to transmission and reflection Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy.
- SPECTRO MS Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer
- Perkin Elmer Spectrum 100 FTIR
3D visualization, Imaging, and measurement
The HCMC is first in the world to have fully digital real time 3D microscopy, in addition to a variety of other real time 3D transmitted and reflection microscopes.
- EDGE 3D Direct View 3D Microscope
- Edge R400 Realtime 3D Microscope + Syncroscopy Z-stacking 3D workstation
- Edge H160 Realtime 3D microscope + PhaseView profilometry and Syncroscopy Z-stacking 3D workstation
- Mitutoyo custom non-contact 3D measurement system
- Zeiss Axiolmager M1m + PhaseView profilometry
- Leica MZ-APO Stereo Microscope
The HCMC operates conventional high vacuum and variable pressure electron microscopes, with wide ranging gigapixel, 3D, and correlative imaging capability combined with density-dependent BSE imaging and EDAX elemental analysis.
- Zeiss EVO 50 SEM + Correlative Microscopy, Smartstich, and MeX Alicona 3D profilometry
- Hitachi S3500N SEM
- SEM coating workstation
BIOQUANT image analysis capability and Leica image analysis is available for histomorphometry of images from both light and electron microscopy sources.
- BIOQUANT Osteo Measure histomorphometry workstation
- Leica DM5000 B + Leica Quantimet v.3 image processing workstation
345 East 24th Street
New York, NY 10010
Julia A. Katris, BA
The Histology and Correlative Microscopy Core (HCMC) is dedicated to the highest quality research on bone, the skeleton, and the dentition. Its Members aspire and take individual pride to provide specimen preparation and imaging science services and training in support of NYU Dentistry basic science and clinical research programs, and to external researchers and industry around the world. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of HCMC pursuits, particularly for seeking unknowns (even those we don't know we don't know) that lurk in the microanatomical, histological, and chemical compositions of hard tissues.
Purchase HCMC Smartphone/Macbook Products
- Human enamel prism Macbook case
- Human enamel prism iPhone case
- Emu bone Macbook case
- Emu bone iPhone case