Bringing Smiles Dental Enrichment Program
The Bringing Smiles Dental Enrichment Program (BSDEP) supports and prepares students who are underrepresented in the dental profession for successful application and matriculation into dental school.
The future oral health workforce must be equipped with the knowledge and experience to improve access and outcomes for underserved populations. The gap in oral health disparities continues to grow, while diversity among dental health professionals remains relatively stagnant. In a 2016 survey from the American Dental Education Association, only 15.2% of dental school applicants were from underrepresented minority (URM) backgrounds.
In 2018, the Department of Pediatric Dentistry at NYU College of Dentistry established the Bringing Smiles Dental Enrichment Program to help increase diversity among dental health professionals.
BSDEP accepts 5 interns per semester. Due to the restrictions of COVID-19, the BSDEP internship will be in hybrid mode: There will be both in-person and virtual experiences.
Interns will participate in several dental school lectures and seminars, gaining exposure to different dentistry topics.
- Community-Based Clinical Experience - interns participate in the “Bringing Smiles to NYC Schools” program, a school-based comprehensive dental program located within NYC public schools.
- Mentorship - each intern will be connected to both a faculty mentor and a dental student mentor whom they will meet with throughout the semester.
- Seminars and Application Preparation - interns will participate in a series of seminars and professional development experiences to prepare them for dental school.
- Research Opportunities - interns will be connected to potential research opportunity at the college.
- Priority is given to applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Strong interest in dentistry and working with underserved populations.
- Strong organizational and communication skills required.
- Must be located within the NYC area (able to easily commute into the city).
- Juniors, Seniors Pre-Dental/ Pre-Health candidates are welcomed and preferred.
Faculty Program Director
Rose Amable, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor
You must be at least a sophomore in college (second year) to apply for this internship. Post- baccalaureate students and students taking a gap year before applying to dental school are also encouraged to apply.
No, you do not have to be an NYU student to apply however all interns must obtain a valid NYU ID prior to their first day.
Yes, due to the hybrid nature of the program, all interns must be located in the tri-state area and have the ability to commute into New York City one day per week.
No, there is no minimum required GPA to apply to this program. All applicants will
be evaluated holistically.
Yes, but you must apply separately for each individual semester.
It is required that BSDEP interns attend all listed sessions.