NYU Dentistry Oral Health Center for People with Disabilities
Located at the NYU College of Dentistry in the heart of Manhattan's health sciences corridor, the Oral Health Center for People with Disabilities is easily accessible to people from throughout the tristate area.
ABOUT THE CENTER
We provide care based on a deep commitment to assuring disabled patients, their families, and caregivers that they aren't just cared for, but cared about.
Our dental care providers have the specialized skillsets needed to provide sensitive, essential care for individuals whose disability or disabilities prevent them from being treated in a conventional dental setting. Every component of the center has been designed to accommodate the physical and support needs of our patients, their families, and/or caregivers. And because it provides dental care across the lifespan, the center offers a dental home for disabled patients on an ongoing basis.
Scope of services
Quality, affordable, comprehensive patient care is provided for all ages and all dental needs:
- Basic Dental Care: Cleanings, routine exams, dental hygiene, sealants, fillings, and fluoride treatment.
- Endodontics: Root canal procedures and other endodontic issues.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Surgical extraction of teeth and removal of diseased tissue. Services provided include surgical treatment of injuries and developmental malformations of the mouth, jaws, and related facial structures.
- Orthodontics: A wide range of treatment is provided for children, adolescents, and adults who need braces.
- Pediatric Dentistry: Pediatric dental treatment and disease prevention for children up to 14 years of age.
- Implant Dentistry: Procedures for dental implants.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS AVAILABLE FOR PATIENTS
- Multisensory room: Designed to reduce patients' agitation and anxiety, help them relax, and engage their senses. Amenities include a bubble tube; noise-cancelling headphones; soothing, adjustable, multi-colored lighting; weighted blankets; body socks; and a projection screen.
- Wheelchair tipper: Designed to accommodate patients receiving dental treatment in their own wheelchairs, without the need to transfer to a dental chair.
- Bariatric chairs: Designed to accommodate patients up to 650 pounds.
- Spacious, private treatment rooms: Designed to offer privacy and comfort, with soothing, adjustable, multi-colored lighting; noise-cancelling headphones; and personal entertainment tablets.
- Sedation: Our nurse practitioner and anesthesiologist conduct comprehensive exams to determine what level of sedation is most appropriate for a patient's needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If you are having a medical emergency, please dial 911.
- If you are experiencing a dental emergency, please call NYU Dentistry Urgent Care at 212.998.9660.
Patients who are referred directly from outside agencies that provide services for people with disabilities and those whose disability or medical conditions prevent them from receiving care in a conventional dental setting are eligible to receive care at the Center. Such disabilities or medical conditions include but are not limited to the following:
- ASD (autism spectrum disorder)
- Moderate-severe intellectual
- Cleft/congenital anomalies
- Moderate-severe multiple sclerosis
- Moderate-severe Down syndrome
- Moderate-severe cerebral palsy
- Moderate-severe dementia (Alzheimer’s
- Moderate-severe conditions with
multiple system involvement
- Moderate-severe Parkinson’s disease
- Traumatic brain injury
- Moderate-severe seizure disorder
- Transplant candidates
A photo ID with proof of address, insurance card (if applicable; we also welcome patients without insurance), and guardianship paperwork, if needed, are required at the first visit.
If an adult patient cannot consent for him/herself, one of the following will be required:
- proof of legal guardianship,
- copy of guardian ID,
- medical power of attorney with ID,
- healthcare proxy with ID, or
- administrative consent from a residential facility
The center is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
The patient’s level of need, extent of disability, and medical issues determine who will provide care.
Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and Third-Party Financing Information
The NYU College of Dentistry (NYU Dentistry) is an Article 28 contracted provider for dental services covered under the State of New York Medicaid Plans. We therefore accept all patients with traditional Medicaid coverage.
In addition, NYU Dentistry provides care under the State of New York Medicaid Managed Care and other programs listed below. This includes Medicaid and Child Health Plus Plans, and also many MLTC, FIDA, PACE, Medicare Advantage, Exchange, HARP and other plans offered through the managed care companies listed below. Please note that we may not accept all types of plans offered by all companies. Additionally, certain plans require the patient to elect NYU Dentistry as their primary dental care provider. To avoid delays in service, please check with your plan before making an appointment. If you would like to confirm whether NYU Dentistry accepts your plan, please call your plan or call NYU Dentistry at 212-998-9800.
- Liberty Dental
- United Healthcare
While some Medicare Advantage plans may provide limited dental coverage, traditional Medicare plans do not provide dental benefits. If your treatment at NYU Dentistry qualifies for reimbursement under your medical coverage through your traditional Medicare plan, we will submit claims to Medicare on your behalf.
IF YOU HAVE PRIVATE INSURANCE
NYU Dentistry welcomes patients with private dental insurance. At this
time, we accept only the insurance plans listed below. For all other private insurance, we will assist you with completing claim forms to obtain reimbursement from your insurance company.
- Cigna - NYU Dentistry participates in Cigna's DPPO Advantage network
- MetLife PPO plans - NYU Dentistry is an out-of-network provider at this time
- Guardian PPO plans - NYU Dentistry is an out-of-network provider at this time
THIRD-PARTY FINANCING INFORMATION
If you are not covered by any insurance or you opt to receive treatment at NYU Dentistry on a self-pay basis:
- An initial fee of $120 must be paid during registration. Acceptable payment methods include cash, checks (with proper identification), money orders, credit card (Visa, Amex, MasterCard or Discover) and many Flexible Spending Account (FSA) cards. Credit card payments cannot be accepted over the phone.
- Third-party financing options are available for patients requiring a payment plan. Please visit Care Credit or Lending Club to learn more.
BECOMING A PATIENT
To register as a new patient, please call 212.998.9988.
For more information, or to join our mailing list, please complete the form below.